Friday, June 15, 2007

Adventures in Birthday Cakes

Today is James’ birthday. Birthdays mean cake, right? Well, here is what his looked like today:







There is a FANTASTIC newish little donut shop just a couple blocks away from us. I think it opened as long as a year ago, but being as we eat donuts about once every 2 years, we haven’t gone yet. BUT, we keep discussing it. So on the way to work this morning I had him make a “secret” stop(which he figured out about an hour before we left home, since he suggested we get espresso this morning, and I said I had another place to stop but I couldn’t tell him where) and he got to pick out a dozen donuts. Don’t they look all pretty in their box? That close up is of one called “death by chocolate” which is a chocolate old-fashioned donut with the normal glaze, and swirls of chocolate on top. They were as tasty as they look, and everyone has been on a sugar high all day because of them. Oh, and by the way, the water marks on top of the box are RAIN from this morning, not drool...

Rocket Donuts is my idea of the perfect business. They have a theme, and they follow it through in every detail. There is a robot statue from a 50’s sci-fi movie in the corner, everything is red and yellow and silver, 50’s crooners sing well loved melodies on the stereo, and there are black and white sci-fi movies playing in the background. I think I am in love.

Anyway, it was a good birthday and there is still more left in the day. Everything is crazy busy in town for WWU’s graduation this weekend. We are going to be closed all day tomorrow, and James, I, and the girls are going over to our new space to wallboard the kitchen and put furniture together. I am hoping to be nearly completely moved in by next Wednesday! Wohoo! And by the way, we are going to keep all of those little ikea allen wrenches and take a picture when we are done with all of the furniture assemblage, just for fun. The joke that keeps getting repeated here? “I bought a comforter at Ikea, and it came with an allen wrench…..”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home