Monday, April 09, 2007

The Growth of a Small Business

Look Pa, I'm writing a post, just for you!

But anyway.....

First of all, I want to start with a big sigh. We have been working so ridiculously hard on our business, and it is beginning to fall into line, and start going exactly as we want. We have hired 3 (3!!) employees. Alex, Oso, and Kendall have started helping us out. Alex is doing sales, and cleaning up after James and I, shipping orders, and other odds and ends. Oso is sewing our bags at the shop during most days, and Kendall is coming in and sewing for us a couple nights a week after her other job. It is so nice for me to be able to be working on our business plan, or catalogue, or hangtags, or whatever 1,000 other things need doing, and have Oso or Kendall working away sewing and Alex getting the shop cleaned up for us.

Here's Alex, shipping a bag to a customer:



Here's Oso, smiling because we tried to sneak attack her with the camera:



And, a corner shot of Kendall sewing away:



So, we’re doing great. Like really great. It has been such a good learning experience with this new product run. I am still stressed because it is taking so long, but I think that is just how things go. And, now I know for the future. And, we are getting a warehouse set up, and getting our selves ready to expand.

I just can’t even tell you how cool it is to be in such a quickly growing company. And more than that, to be at the helm and deciding what directions we go. And it is all thanks to the support of our loyal customers. Thank you.

I was at Target (for shame!) yesterday, picking up a pop up dog crate. I didn’t even know they made those things until we saw one there. Oh well. Anyway, when I went to check out, there in the kiddie seat of a shopping cart sat a Persnickity Designs bag. It was pink and mocha with a stitched flower on it. That right there makes this whole thing worthwhile. So, that big sigh at the beginning is one of complete contentment, and just a little bit of tired.

Alright, off to go manage these employees. Everyone is here today, and it is a feeling I can’t describe, going to check on people, and seeing like 5 times as much work getting done as usual. Better go look like I’m working too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home